When you meet with your criminal defense attorney to discuss a Desk Appearance Ticket (D.A.T.) or arrest for drug possession, you'll want to discuss several issues in detail. These will help your attorney begin shaping your best defense. Some of the key things to discuss include:
- Was the stop and search by the police conducted legally? Does any aspect of the search make the alleged evidence inadmissible in a court of law?
- How much did the alleged drugs weigh? Did they weigh enough for a possible felony charge?
- Does the prosecution have any evidence of intent to sell the substance in question?
- Are you a candidate for an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (ACD)? This means that the charges would be dropped if you are not charged with any other crime in the near future.
- What are the potential ramifications for your future of a non-criminal conviction or violation in terms of career and immigration status?
Our law firm serves clients in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Westchester County. Call us at 212.312.7129 or contact us online today to speak with our New York attorneys and former Manhattan prosecutors about misdemeanor drug crimes.
In depth information on drug crimes, statutes and laws is located on Saland Law's New York Criminal Lawyer Blog and its drug crime section.